Go to: Just Bean Recipes Home Page|
Click/Tap 'Back' to go to the recipe list you were browsing.
Black-eyed Pea and Wilted Greens Salad
1 c Dry black-eyed peas
2 oz Piece Canadian bacon
2 ts Olive oil
1 c Finely chopped onion
6 c Chopped kale
1 md Red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
1 ts Grainy mustard
4 tb Red wine vinegar
1/2 ts Paprika
1/4 ts Cayenne pepper
1 ts Dried oregano, crushed
1/2 ts Salt
2 tb Olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the black-eyed peas in a large bowl and add water to cover by 3 inches. Soak overnight.
2. Drain the peas and put into a pot with the piece of Canadian bacon. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 45 to 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Drain.
3. Transfer the peas to a bowl. Remove the Canadian bacon and dice finely; add to the peas.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 2 minutes. Add to the peas. Stir in the red bell pepper.
5. To prepare the dressing: Put the mustard, vinegar, paprika, cayenne, oregano, salt and olive oil in a jar. Shake until emulsified. Add to the salad, gently mixing. Stir in freshly ground pepper to taste.
6. The salad should be served at room temperature. If making ahead, refrigerate and remove 1 hour before serving.
Click/Tap here for the Printer friendly version. (Just shows the recipe only)
You can Click/Tap Back to return here.