Go to: Just Bean Recipes Home Page|
Click/Tap 'Back' to go to the recipe list you were browsing.
Brown Lentil Chilli
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- crushed (2 to 3)
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon coriander seed
2 sticks celery -- chopped
2 carrots -- peeled and diced
1 red or green pepper
8 ounces courgettes -- diced
8 ounces mushrooms -- chopped
6 ounces brown lentils
3 whole dried chillies
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 14 ounce ti chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 pints vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until quite soft.
2. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook until the seeds begin to pop. Add the vegetables and sweat for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the lentils, chillies and chilli powder. Stir in well and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over the tomatoes and stock or water.
4. Stir in the tomato puree and boil. Simmer for 50-60 minutes.
5. Add more stock if necessary. Add the ground cumin, season to taste and cook for another 10 minutes.
Click/Tap here for the Printer friendly version. (Just shows the recipe only)
You can Click/Tap Back to return here.